Dog owners know that a pet is not just an animal, but a member of the family loved by all. For this reason, it is always important to make sure your dog is both happy and healthy so that they can be a part of your life for a very long time. There’s nothing like seeing the excitement on your dog’s face when you walk through a door, so if you want to make sure they maintain that level of happiness and energy, be sure to follow these tips to ensure that your dog remains happy and healthy for many years to come.
- Make exercise a part of their daily routine. Just like humans, dogs need an exercise routine to remain healthy. Take the time to learn all about your dog’s breed and their tendencies; this will give you a better understanding of how much exercise they require. All dogs need exercise, some more than others, and some are better on a leash while others are not and exercise better when roaming without one (if the park or area allows it). Whatever the case may be, make sure your dog is getting plenty of daily exercises.
- Monitor your dog’s oral hygiene. They can develop dental issues like gingivitis and experience tooth loss if proper care is not applied. Try brushing your dog’s teeth once a week. If you find this task too difficult or challenging, take them to the vet where they can check and clean your dog’s teeth for you. Brushing your dog’s teeth regularly on your own is important, but they should also be checked by a veterinarian routinely.
- Make sure that your dog has all of the right vaccinations and medication. If your dog has the right shots, it will allow them to stay healthy longer so that you can enjoy more time with them.
- Trust your instincts and look out for warning signs. If you see that your dog is acting strange, has less energy or doesn’t seem as happy as they normally are, it may be a sign that there is something serious affecting their mood. It’s always better to be safe rather than sorry, so if you ever have any concerns, no matter how minor, head to a vet right away for peace of mind.
- Visit a veterinarian clinic regularly so that your dog can get a routine check-up. This will allow your vet to have a file, record and monitor all health information pertaining to your dog.
Don Valley Animal Hospital is a veterinary clinic in North York with reputable vets that have your dog’s best interests at heart. They will make your dog’s health and happiness a priority so that you can continue making memories with them and enjoy their company for many years to come!